ua en pl ru 
ABOUT LUTSK

Church of the Exaltation of the Cross

Church of the Exaltation of the Cross
Address:Danyla Galytskogo St. 2
Phone: +38 (0332) 72-34-32
E-mail:zamok.lutsk@ukr.net
Site:zapovidnyklutsk.org.ua
Location:Old city

Church of the Exaltation of the Cross together with the Basilian monastery comprise a single complex of preserved architectural memorials, which were built by the Lutsk Exaltation of the Cross brotherhood.

Lutsk Exaltation of the Cross brotherhood is a unity of the Volyn Orthodox nobility, clergy and elite. Lutsk Exaltation of the Cross brotherhood  created the whole complex for their religion, language and culture protection against the state catholic religion and the Polish language obtrusion in the first part of the 17th century. The brotherhood became the political and cultural Orthodox nobility center.

Among Lutsk brotherhood members there were: the metropolitan Petro Mokhyla, hetman Petro Sagaidachnyi and also Kyiv Brotherhood school founder Galshka Gulevechivna, buried in a crypt under the church.

The complex was built in 1630-40-s years. In the 18th century the church and monastery suffered from fires and in the 19th century the church was destroyed. The monastery almost preserved its original appearance, but the modern church is only the altar part of the former church with a rectangular soviet building.

Print 

Leave a comment
Name:
Comment:
Enter the code:

    On the map

    • See on the map