ua en pl ru 
ABOUT LUTSK

Bridgettine monastery

Bridgettine monastery
Address:Kafedralna St., 16
Phone: +38 (0332) 72-34-32
E-mail:zamok.lutsk@rambler.ru
Site:zapovidnyklutsk.org.ua
Location:Old city

The monastery was built in 1624 and functioned until May, 1845, when it was damaged by fire and was converted into a prison, today known as “Lutsk Prison”.  On 23 June, 1941, several thousand Volyn inmates of the prison were killed by the NKVD as it abandoned the city in the face of the invading German army. Today the area is occupied by the Saint Archangel Monastery and Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kiev Patriarchate.

Print 

Leave a comment
Name:
Comment:
Enter the code: